Office of the Lieutenant Governor
Higher Education Policy Advisor/Specialist
Under the general direction of the Deputy Chief of Staff, the Higher Education Policy Advisor/Specialist to the Lieutenant Governor is responsible for leading with the strategic development, coordination and implementation of the LG’s higher education engagements, initiatives, and priorities. This includes drafting reports, preparing briefings, talking points and memorandums of conversation, making policy recommendations to the LG and serving as the LG’s representative and liaison to constituent and advocacy groups.
- Recommend, draft, design, pitch, and implement strategic initiatives related to higher education policy;
- Serve as the LG’s representative for liaison with stakeholders, constituents and partners;
- Attend and staff the LG at CCC Board of Governors, CSU Trustees and UC Regents meetings;
- Maintain situational awareness of the higher education landscape, events and developments that may impact the State of California and provide briefings/updates to the LG as required;
- Prepare briefings, background papers and talking points for the LG’s engagements and meetings with higher education institutions and stakeholders;
- Recommend, draft, and oversee the design of the LG’s higher education outreach agenda, to include planning and coordinating campus visits, as appropriate;
- Develop and maintain close working relationships with other State officials responsible for public higher education policy and outreach;
- Monitor and brief the LG on legislation that pertains to higher education and engage as appropriate;
- Work with communications advisor to draft external communications related to public higher education;
- Manage and implement other tasks, as assigned.
Position Qualifications and Education
A Bachelor’s Degree is required, as is 1 year + experience working in higher education policy. Prior legislative experience preferred. Title and compensation is dependent on experience.
This position is located in the Lieutenant Governor’s Sacramento office. Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, and three references to Aleksandra Reetz, Deputy Chief of Staff at Aleksandra.firstname.lastname@example.org.